After two big wins on the road last week at Skagit Valley, the Trojans returned home, now ranked #15 in the RPI for an important doubleheader against #16 ranked Pierce College. The first game featured plenty of offensive fireworks and excitement for both teams with 3 ties, 4 lead changes and a total of 25 runs scored. Pierce took a 8-4 lead after a huge 7 run inning in the top of the 3rd, but the young Trojans squad bounced back to score 3 in the 4th and 4 in the 5th to regain the lead at 11-8. After being shutout in the 4th and 5th, Pierce responded with 4 runs in the 6th inning regaining the lead 12-11 going into the bottom of the 6th. In dramatic fasion, the Trojans tied the game at 12 off of a Ciara Harding single, and later came around to score the go ahead run off of Megan Parsley's single. More late game drama would ensue in the top of the 7th when Pierce led off with a triple. But a hard ground ball to 3rd by the next batter would result in a tag and throw to first to complete the double play, ending the threat and eventually the game.
Highlights, 13-12 win
- Ciara Harding, 3-4, with a double and 3 RBI's
- Megan Parsley, 3 for 5 with 5 RBI's and a home run
- Cathy Zaragoza, 2 for 3 with a home run and 2 RBI's
- Brittnee Harvil, 1 for 3 with a walk and 3 run home run
- Alyson Roberson, 0 for 2, drew 3 walks and scored 3 runs
Game 2 featured much less scoring through the first 3.5 innings of play with a 1-1 tie. After that, it would be a heart-stopping slug fest as runs were scored by both teams in innings 4-6. Pierce tied the game in the 5th, only to have Everett respond to regain a 5-3 lead. Then in the 6th Pierce scored 3 runs to claim a 6-5 lead only to have a Lizzy Dillard grand slam in the bottom of the 6th to place Everett back on top 10-6. The Raiders would not go down without a fight and in the top of the 7th scored a run and brought the go ahead run to the plate with the bases loaded. With 2 outs, freshman pitcher Cassidy Conrad stayed calm and got the final Pierce batter to fly out and end the game 10-7.
Highlights, 10-7 win
- Alyson Roberson, 3 for 4 with a run scored and an RBI
- Megan Parsley, 3 for 4, and was a triple away from hitting for the cycle, and drove in 2 runs (2 home runs on the day)
- Lizzy Dillard, 3 for 4, scored 2 runs, and had the go ahead grand slam (4 RBI's)
- Brittnee Harvil, 1 for 3, 2 run home run (2 home runs on the day)
- Cassidy Conrad, 2 for 4, and pitched all 7 innings giving up 4 earned runs and struck out 10
Everett's next double header will be this Saturday at home against #7 ranked Douglas College. The Trojans split with the Royals in their last meeting back in March. Game times are set for 12 and 2pm.