Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Trojans Come Out on Top of Double OT Thriller

Trojans Come Out on Top of Double OT Thriller

The Trojans completed the first half of North Region play on Wednesday night going a perfect 7-0 thanks to a gutsy performance on the road and coming out with a 110-108 double overtime victory.  Everett has had many close games this season, but this was the first game that went to overtime, and the Trojans once again showed that they have the poise and composure to win the close ball games.  

EvCC shot the ball well in the first half, but were plagued by seven turnovers that lead to easy points for Bellevue, and the Trojans found themselves down by one at the halftime break.  Star shooting guard Markieth Brown Jr. was held to just 3 first half points, and only got off three shots.  However, freshman Elijah Seybold had a huge first half coming off the bench shooting 4-5 from the field and putting up 12 points.

The first five minutes in the second half was a good indicator for all those in attendance of how evenly matched these two teams were.  There were five lead changes and one tie in those five minutes before Everett established a lead eventually building to as much as 8 with 1:27 remaining in regulation.  However, even with the lead the Trojans suffered a huge blow when their only true inside post player Magnus Jesperesen fouled out with 3:14 remaining ending his night with 7 points and 13 rebounds.  With the vacancy inside on the defensive end, the Bulldogs capitalized in the final minute forcing turnovers, drawing fouls inside, and converting on free throws allowing them to tie the game back up at 81-81 with 23 seconds remaining.

Everett had the last possession of regulation but after a missed jumper by Elijah Seybold and turnover off of an offensive rebound the buzzer would sound locked at 81-81. 

In overtime, Everett struck first on a nice back-door cut by Tori Odom and held the lead extending it to as much as six on a deep three pointer by Markieth Brown Jr. with 2:18 remaining.  Bellevue continued to apply pressure, chipping away at the lead by pounding the ball inside without the defensive presence of Jespersen, and eventually tied the game on two made free throws at 92.  Everett once gain had the last possesion, this time with 19 seconds remaining in the game.

Markieth Brown Jr. got off a shot at the free throw line that bounced off the back of the rim.  Phalon Maddox, tipped the ball back to Markieth who's second attempt to win the game bounced on the rim twice before cascading off just to the side, sending the game into double overtime. 

In what has to be one of the most exciting games in the NWAC this season, the Trojan's and Bulldogs battled in the final overtime with 8 lead changes heading into the final :30 seconds of play.  Everett possesed a 104-103 lead after a tremendous offensive rebound and put back by Phalon Maddox.  The next six points for the Trojans would all come via the charity stripe as the Trojans went a perfect 6-6 down the stretch.  Phalon Maddox who had been just 1-9 from the free throw line all night, made the last two to preserve the 110-108 victory. 

Everett will get a well deserved week off, before coming back to the Walt Price Center next Wednesday to start the next half of North Region play vs Skagit Valley College.  The Trojans sit atop the North region standings at 7-0 and will work with a two game cushion over Edmonds at 5-2.